Summertime abounds with family reunions, company picnics and outdoor gatherings of all kinds. Like you, we’re always looking for new and healthy dishes to bring to the party. Present these delightful salads and wait for the kudos to roll in!
Mock “Chicken” Salad
1 package firm tofu (drained and cut into 1-inch cubes)
2 Tbsp. Bragg liquid aminos
1 Tbsp. apple juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. sage
1 cup diced celery
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup Nayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, toss tofu cubes with Bragg liquid aminos, garlic and apple juice.
- Spread tofu cubes and juice evenly on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sage.
- Bake for 30 minutes and set aside to cool.
- Mix together tofu cubes, celery, onion and Nayonnaise. Cover and refrigerate.
- Stir in almonds before serving.
Sweet Corn Salad
1 medium onion, diced
2 Tbsp. water
1 can water-packed artichoke hearts,
drained and chopped
4 cups corn
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1/4 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Saute onion in the water for 2-3 minutes.
Drain and let cool for 5 minutes.
Combine onions, artichoke hearts, corn,
peppers, tarragon and balsamic vinegar.
- Toss and refrigerate.
- Serve chilled.
Pamela A. Popper, Ph.D., N.D., is the founder and Executive Director of The Wellness Forum, a chain of health and wellness centers located throughout the United States and the Far East. www.wellnessforum.com. She is the author of The Wellness Cookbook which offers healthful, vegetarian and vegan recipes. To order call (614) 841-7700 or (800) 761-8210.